Descriptive Reflection: Formal Introductory Letter

Subject: Self-introduction

Dear Professor Blackstone,

My name is Ernest Sim, a first-year mechanical engineering student at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). I am writing this letter in hopes that you will understand me better.


I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a diploma in aerospace engineering. During my studies, I developed an interest in engineering. However, in my last semester as a student intern, I discovered that I was disillusioned about the industry. This pushed me to rediscover my interest. While I remained interested in engineering, I had also found out that I was equally passionate about mentoring and teaching others. Merging these two interests, I saw engineering as a means to teach mathematics and physics in engaging and practical ways. This unique perspective is what drives me to study engineering with the goal of becoming an effective educator.


I believe my strength lies in my ability to communicate passionately. I was involved in various student councils during my secondary school and polytechnic and was drawn towards the inspirational speeches that my seniors had given. This led me to adopt that style of leadership and communication when I took over. I believe that communication was more than just getting my ideas across but also to inspire and stir up emotional responses in people.


Ironically, this would also become my source of weakness in communication. Because of my habit of passionately sharing ideas, I tend to be lengthy in my speech. Being concise has been one of my weaknesses in communication. In our first lesson, one of the icebreaker questions was, “believing that communicating well is both an art and a science.” I am confident with the “art” portion but require refining in the “science” aspect. 


Thus, my goal for this module is not only to be an effective speaker, but also an efficient one. I also wish to engage my audience in a dynamic manner, which is helpful in the classroom where the environment can become chaotic. I plan to use what I learn in this module to bring “order from chaos” and become a better communicator. 


It warms my heart dearly that I get to learn from a passionate educator such as yourself. Thank you for taking your time to read my letter.

Best regards,

Ernest Sim


Comments

  1. Hi Ernest,

    Your introduction letter is engaging and effectively communicates your background and goals. I really appreciate how you’ve shared your journey from aerospace engineering to finding a passion for teaching. It’s great to see how you’ve connected your interests in engineering and education.

    A quick tip: instead of saying “I tend to be lengthy in my speech,” you might say “I sometimes have trouble being concise.”

    Overall, your letter is heartfelt and shows how committed you are to improving your communication skills. I’m sure you’ll do great in the module and make the most of what you learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ernest,

    I think you did a great job introducing yourself and clearly showing your passion for both engineering and teaching. Your enthusiasm really comes through.

    One small suggestion I have is to clarify a bit more about why you felt disillusioned with the aerospace industry, as it would help us to understand your transition better. Also, tightening up some sections, especially the introduction and conclusion, could help make your message even more concise and impactful.

    Overall, it’s a thoughtful and well-written email, and I’m sure it’ll make a great impression!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Task 3 - Brief interpretation of quote

Initial research pathways